Many women suffer from muscle and joint pains, aches, stiffness and tension during pregnancy. A gentle massage can often provide relief from problems such as backache, sleeplessness, edema, headaches and tension. In this article you will learn how to give a soothing massage to a pregnant woman.
During pregnancy the amount of aromatherapy oil you add to the carrier oil should be reduced by half because your body is much more sensitive to the oils when you are pregnant and better able to absorb them. Nevertheless, you will still receive an effective treatment, so dont be tempted to add a few more drops just in case.
Pregnancy massage A step by step guide
The aromatherapy massage is relaxing and helps alleviate tension which is often present during pregnancy. Make sure your partner is comfortable then begin. If your partner is more than four months pregnant she will find it uncomfortable to lie on her front. Instead, help her to lie on her side supported by a cushion or massage her back while she is in a sitting position with a cushion to lean on for support.
Pregnancy massage Massaging the back
Gently apply your chosen oil to your partners back, shoulders and arms.
1. Stroke gently down the spine from the base of the neck to the lower back. Do this slowly and evenly and repeat, using alternate hands, twenty times.
2. With both hands, gently stroke down the sides of the neck, over the shoulders and down the arms, coming off at the hands. Repeat ten times.
3. With both hands, stroke gently up the spine, round the shoulder blades in a figure-of-eight then gently down the sides of the body. Repeat ten times.
4. Stroke across the back, starting from the lower back on the right hand side. Stroke in from the outside of the body towards the spine with alternate hands moving gently up the back towards the shoulders. Repeat several times on the right side; work on the left side in the same way.
5. Place one hand on your partners lower back, place your other hand on top and allow the heat from your hands to build up. This is very soothing to a sore back.
6. Repeat step 1.
Now work on your partners neck to ease tension.
1. Knead along from the outer shoulders towards the base of the neck. Repeat four or five times.
2. With your fingertips work in little circular movements from the base of the neck up to the base of the skull. Repeat four or five times.
3. Stroke down the sides of the neck and out to the shoulders, very slowly. Repeat five or six times.
Pregnancy massage Massaging the tummy
Gently apply your chosen oil to your partners tummy.
1. Gently stroke down the tummy from between the breasts to the public bone. Repeat twenty times with alternate hands.
2. Gently circle around the tummy with the flat of your hand in a clockwise direction. Do not apply any pressure. Think of this as a way to soothe and calm your partner. Repeat five or six times.
3. Stroke in from the hip bone, using alternate hands, gradually moving up the body to the side of the chest. Repeat several times on each side.
4. This movement is helpful for an aching, tried back. Reach under your partners waist with both hands. Now slide them out from under her back, lifting gently as you do so. Bring your hands gently over her tummy. Repeat five or six times.
5. Repeat step 1.
This massage is mainly for relaxation and I would recommend that you try one of the following aromatherapy blends. Use six drops of aromatherapy oil to 4 fl oz (100 ml) of carrier oil.
1. Camomile and lavender
2. Frankincense and neroli
3. Ylang-ylang and sandalwood
4. Geranium and rose
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.
Child safety is at the top of the priority list for every parent. Making sure children know how to cross the street safely, what places they may and may not visit, what to do in the event of a fire or other dangerous situation, and numerous other safety issues are one way parents seek to...